Monday, December 16, 2013

Are We Ever Truly Adults?

                                            ADOLESCENCE 

                          Sexual                                       Economic
1820              16-18  years                             18-20 years
2013             12- 14   years                            26-28 years

Brother Williams shared this shocking statistic in class and I found it to be muy interesante. Adolescence is the age between when we start to develop sexually (puberty) and become stable and dependent financially. I guess after that we are considered an adult. Haha yeah right. Are we ever truly adults? Let me explain this chart a bit. So in the early 1800's a person went through puberty, girls started having menstrual cycles when they were about 16 years old. Now of days if your 16 years old and still haven't developed in this way you are considered a late bloomer. In this blog entry I would like to focus more on this aspect of the statistics:  In the early 1800's when someone moves out of the house officially and become financially stable for them selves was around 20 years old. In 2013 this does not usually happen until a person is 26. Think about that.  26?!?!? If I am not financially stable for myself by them someone slap me. It is becoming the common trend that people do not get off of parents insurance or even move out of the house until 26.  This shocked me, especially that the social norm in 1820 was that those people who started a life for themselves did so at 20 years old. That would be like me right now being completely economically dependent. CRAZY. I don't know about you, but I am not at that point yet. This difference in ages of adolescence has changed drastically. I believe it has change in this way because of the world we live in. Kids these days do not have to work for what they have. If they want something, it is simple, as mom and dad for it. I think we need to train our kids to be appreciative for all the things they have, their beds, their toys, the food on the table. If we raise a generation like this, we may be able to get this world a little bit back on track. It is not until that child is pushed out of their comfort zone and have to pay for more of their own things do they learn the importance and value of something as simple as toothpaste. Living on my own, having to pay for all my necessary items I find that I tend to go without somethings that once used to be a necessity for me simply because spending my precious money on it is not worth it. These statistics were shocking but I know exactly why they changed the way they did. Let's change our ways and not only become more grateful for what we have, but to work for what we have. 

1 comment: